• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Isolation of BOTH cells AND serums from mouse blood

isolation. mouse. cells.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wernerlael

wernerlael

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hello. I am interested in a protocol for isolating from 1 ml of mouse blood BOTH the cells (for flow cytometry) and the serums (for cytokine determination). All protocols take mouse blood for EITHER cells OR serums. This is very wasteful, as the blood is of very little volume.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Surely you could just spin down the cells, then remove the plasma to a fresh tube and treat it to make serum. However, I suppose the risk is that the cells will clot before you can spin them out.

#3 wernerlael

wernerlael

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I thought of this idea. In order to avoid the clotting, I thought of spinning down with Heparin. However, I would appreciate if somebody has this experience, and knows if this works, or what concentrations and centrifuge speeds to use.

#4 zodiac1505

zodiac1505

Enthusiast

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

We also do FACS and cytokine estimation in blood. However we split our samples and collect some in the heparin tubes and most of the blood in the serum separator tubes that BD has.

This is the link to heparin tubes

http://catalog.bd.co...ctNumber=365971. You might be able to collect blood in them and spin the cells down and separate them out avoiding clotting.

#5 wernerlael

wernerlael

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

We also do FACS and cytokine estimation in blood. However we split our samples and collect some in the heparin tubes and most of the blood in the serum separator tubes that BD has.

This is the link to heparin tubes

http://catalog.bd.co...ctNumber=365971. You might be able to collect blood in them and spin the cells down and separate them out avoiding clotting.

HI you do this on mice blood?

Edited by wernerlael, 18 October 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#6 zodiac1505

zodiac1505

Enthusiast

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, we work only with mice :)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.