• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Ferum level estimation in saliva

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matiw91

Matiw91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

(I am a bit confused, if it is a good place for this topic, if no, sory and thank for replacement :) )

I am a studen of Dental Faculty, during preparation for scientific project it turned out, that estimation of ferum level is saliva taken from several patients would be very interesting. Unfortunately i can not find any "available for university students" method of this procedure. Biochemical faculty promised to help us in reagents and laboratory work, but still we have no good method of evaluation. Can you suggest us good method for estimation of ferum level in saliva? Any information/previous studies/methods will be very helpful :)

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Not quite sure what exactly ferum is, could you explain more? My best guess is that it is Iron (Fe) or perhaps pheromone (excreted hormone)?

#3 Matiw91

Matiw91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Sorry fot this misunderstanding, it's probably because constant language changes of mine (study, live, research project) Posted Image Of course I mean Iron (Fe).
To be more precise: we are willing to better understand or to find a cause of very rare "pigmented plaque" on children's teeth. We suspect, that it may be partly caused by increased amount of Iron in their saliva. That's why we need to know their level and compare it with control patients. That's why I'm asking about laboratory method (reagents, procedure) which we can suggest to our biochemical department Posted Image
I hope now it's a bit more clear Posted Image

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Cool - no worries with the language, we get lots of different people on here, so we do our best to understand and realise that not everyone speaks/writes perfect english.

You might be better off asking an analytical chemist how best to estimate iron content in a sample. I suspect that something like mass-spec flame atomic absorption spectroscopy will be the most accurate method.

#5 Matiw91

Matiw91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

:) I'm sure, that "mass-spec flame atomic absorption spectroscopy" will be very acurate, but I'm also sure, that unfortunately it's totaly out of reach. We need to stick to the basic methods, I hope in future I will have possibility to work with "modern techniques"Posted Image That's why I'm asking about biochemical, I think less complicated and easier to perform methods in random laboratory.

#6 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

- ICP
- AAS
- Ferrozine method, colorimetric and very commonly used allows discrimination between Fe(II) and Fe(III)
- Phenantroline method, also colorimetric

ICP and AAS are quite simpler as there is no problem redisolving the plaque, but for ferrozine you will probably have to disolve and neutralize to avoid problems with very extreme pH.

For both colorimetric methods you need the reactive and a spectrophotometer. For ferrozine you will also need ascorbic acid (I think it was ascorbic Posted Image ) to reduce Fe(III) to Fe(II) and measure total Fe because ferrozine only binds to ferrous iron. I just did a couple of times but the method is easy to find online.

#7 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

here are some papers with methods:

Attached Files

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.