• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Increasing cell growth rate in plain M9 medium

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donny

donny

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have been trying to grow E. coli DH1 transformed with various plasmids in "plain" M9 medium, ie. this recipe with thiamine and NO other supplements like casamino acid, iron, trace metals etc. I've adapted the cells by subcultivation 3x but the growth rate is still significantly slower than rich media like LB. Adding casamino acid definitely increased growth rate but I don't want to use it because I want a real defined media. Are there other ways to increase the growth rate? Would adding iron and/or trace metals help?

#2 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Indeed, casaminoacids it's something I would avoid as it makes the media undefined.

Some M9 variations include different aminoacids and most of them include also proline (e.g. M9 with arginine includes Arg and Pro).

You may also try supplements of trace elements, very common in minimal media. Some of this solutions have even their own name such SL-6 or SL-10 trace element solutions, Wolfe's mineral solution, Wolfe's vitamin solution... and you may find easily recipes

Edited by El Crazy Xabi, 07 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.