DNA pellet disappeared after ethanol washDNA pellet ethanol wash
Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:52 PM
Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:03 PM
Are you using a kit?
Try hold it up to the light to make sure the pellet hasn't got stuck to the tube (are you using mirofuge tubes?). I recently had something like this happen to me and I found it was usually in my technique, which meant I needed to critique my method having not done the process before.
I found the inverting the closed tubes sometimes meant the pellet got caught in the top of the microfuge tube. Are you vortexing? If so try not to let the supernatant reach the lid of tube. Also sometimes after centrifuging the pellet might get stuck to the tube and may be slightly different color between samples, even shrinking in size so that even holding up to light is difficult to find in the opaque tubes.
I had 24 samples and had to repeat the test 4 times, on the fourth test I added an extra 39 samples. Can't say for sure how many times this happened, but was one of the problems I encountered. Explain a little more of what your doing, as it may assist other also looking for questions and others with a bit more experience than myself. For instance, I used whole sheeps blood with a Qiagen Flexigene DNA kit.
Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:09 AM
I did leave the tails in the 60 degrees for longer than overnight- a full day- so I thought perhaps there would be no DNA but I got a nice pellet in all of them after the isopropanol, so I'm not sure what happened.
Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:33 PM
NEW!!!! Its official then! Mosquitoes do prefer biting some people over others on CoffeeTableScience!!!!
Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist