• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Transformed bacteria grows on plates but not in broth

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 goingtothesun

goingtothesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

I am trying to transform empty pLenti6.3/V5-DEST vectors in One Shot ccdB Survival 2 T1R competent cells and then grow up colonies for minipreps.

Here is a link to the vector information: http://products.invi.../product/V53306
And the competent cells: http://products.invi.../product/A10460

If you are not familiar with Gateway vectors, the empty plasmids contain the ccdB gene and must be transformed using the competent cells mentioned above.

Thus far I have been able to get colonies to grow on 100ug/ml ampicillin plates and 100ug/ml carbenicillin plates after doing the transformation. I cannot, however, get picked colonies to grow in LB broth with antibiotic.

Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Transformation, plated on 100ug/ml amp plates, tried to grow up in LB+100ug/ml amp but got no growth.

2. Made fresh amp plates. Made sure to cool to 55C before adding antibiotic. Used the next day for my transformation and got colonies. I had read a bit online and saw someone say they had to use 2x LB with the pLenti6.3 vector so I made some and tried the following. Each condition had 10 culture tubes:
LB + 100 ug/ml amp
LB + 100 ug/ml carbenicillin
2x LB + 100 ug/ml amp
2x LB + 100 ug/ml carbenicillin

Nothing grew.

3. Made fresh carbenicillin plates. Transformed, got colonies, and tried the following conditions:
LB + 100 ug/ml carbenicillin
2x LB + 100 ug/ml carbenicillin
LB + no antibiotic
2x LB + no antibiotic

I only got growth in the tubes with no antibiotic.

I am going to buy new antibiotics and make fresh plates. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could try?

#2 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

are you sure your stock antibiotic is fresh? ampicilin degrades fast, we prepare fresh plates every month. This used to happen to us a lot. we got colonies on plate but they didn't grow in broth. it was because false colonies grew on plate and when we transferred to broth with fresh antibiotic they couldn't grow.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.