• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Recognition and money crisis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

PDF jobs are like more of recognition and money crisis issue. You stay for job - you get money but in alien location nobody knows a person. we don't get to live near our near and dear persons. Aren't a human being needs recognition too? Not at end like in perfect philosophical world.

#2 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

what is PDF?

With out of location thing: depends where you are born. I was born in Romania (no chance for real research there) and now I am in Germany for the last 8 years. I am now in Goettingen, which is a huge research center. I mean, you can go around for master's, PhD, postdoc1, postdoc2, junior group leader etc and still not do a job in the same institute twice :) We have 3 Max Planck Institutes related to life sciences...ok one is more biophysics and computational but still neuroscience stuff, the German Primate Center, European Neuroscience Institute, the university clinic (huuuge buildings; a campus on its own), the university with 2 biochemistry institutes, 1 big microbiology institute etc. etc. Not to speak of the several companies in which people with a PhD in life sciences can work later. There are also other cities like this: Heidelberg as another example (DKFZ, EMBL, Max Planck Institute, the huge university). I know of people that studied in one of these towns because their parents were there and then stayed there and now are professors there So you don't have to really move around. Especially if you think well in advance and you already choose now such a city: your kids would be able to be professors there :D

#3 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

PDF- postdoctoral fellowship?

I guess being mobile is almost a requirement for this job. In a way it is also preferred to avoid 'inbreeding'. But then you have to face all the challenges that go with it- being away from family and friends, new environment (can even be hostile or unwelcoming), foreign language, customs and traditions etc. So you have to find ways to cope...and also remember that many people have gone through this stage and survived, even flourished...so you're not alone...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#4 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yes; I understand what you both are talking about. But I am telling you that it is possible to do great research without leaving a town. And I am talking here of people who publish in Nature and Science at least once a year that never left town or only for one postdoc. And the institutes I am talking about are not just another institute in a small town: DKFZ, EMBL and Max Planck are some of the largest ones in the world, if not...(sorry Americans here) the biggest in the world. I mean: how many of you sit in a proximity of a couple of hundred of meters from a Nobel prize laureate? Stop thinking that you MUST leave city to be successful. Yes, it is advisable, increases your chances. But if you are a great scientist you can get away with sitting still in one place. And no: it is not inbreeding when you have institutes as Goettingen has.

I do not say: stay in your city. Hell not. I would not do it myself. But I am living out of my parents house since I am 14 and I like moving around. I love this nomad life. I love change. I get easily bored. I wouldn't have it otherwise. But most people are not like this.

I am just saying that there are always alternatives. Moreover, we should not stick to this stereotype of scientist: no life, no children, wife/husband, no relatives, no roots... the equilibrium is where you want it to be. And do check the CVs of people that already made it and check their choices.

#5 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

But how many are lucky enough not to move an inch from where they got their PhDs? In any lab that you can encounter, how many places for a PhD and how many openings for a postdoc? Even if one doesn't want to move, one has to move to where the opportunities are. And there's almost this 'tradition' that you have to do your postdoc training somewhere else so you can get a different perspective, you can develop flexibility and adaptability, you can bring something worthwhile into your new environment and hopefully take something out later on for your advancement.

And at least here in north america, there is a high percentage of foreign researchers doing postdoc research and even those who earned their PhD degrees from here, many would be moving somewhere else (a different city or even country) for their postdoc. So in the end, it becomes not a personal choice but almost a necessity. If there are no positions offered, how can one stay? So the alternative is to move or do something else. And the situation of no children, no partner, no roots is a result of the choices we make or have been making and some can live with that.
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#6 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 331 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yes by PDF I meant Post-doc. Its There seems to be too many problems out there. Not that I complain about them all the time, but I do when i give it a thought. You have to live on own, of course lonely, chat online with old friends- initially good -getting worst with time ( many peoples just don't hang-up more with old memories); you get into new location, if English or some other lingua-franca is there then good but if not then it's alien land. I do agree with casandra from other post that I'm not only one, many have gone through it. So whatever! may be that's how it all works.
Bright side- we all got to see new world, new is always good, we just don't get bored when change is there.

#7 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Bright side- we all got to see new world, new is always good, we just don't get bored when change is there.

That's the spirit!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.