• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

A forum for discussing membrane proteins?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 metionina

metionina

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

Interest in membrane proteins becomes higher every day and some 70% of current drug targets are membrane proteins. But working with this type of proteins remains very difficult, only few structures are available in the PDB and membrane protein researchers are often alone with their problems (solubility - aggregation - expression and purification - electrophoresis techniques - structure determination - etc).

I didn't find any forum or group specific for these proteins in the web and I'd like to propose to create a group here.
Is somebody interested in that idea?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

"puts on moderator's hat"
If you want to you can create a new group for this at: http://www.protocol-...rums/groups/.

"takes off hat"

#3 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

put on innocent PhD student hat that is also interested in membrane proteins:

I agree with metionina. Also interested. Metionina, I had a good feeling about you when I have seen you interests on your member profile.
takes off PhD student hat to put on the moderator hat:

I still think it is a bit too specific, maybe a subforum in the proteins and proteomics next to the expression and purification forum would be a good idea that we should take to the Admin/Bioforum. But if me and metionina are two lost souls interested in the membrane proteins, maybe not a good idea after all. I have never seen a membrane protein question so far. Or?? Maybe it still a good idea to first make a group and see how many people join and how active it is and then make a subforum because from the logistics point of view, we have already too many forums and subforums that are not active and make us more confused, in my taste. Anyhow I only check new content :)

taking of all hats and being just...

Andreea

#4 metionina

metionina

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

I thought about a group yes, not a subforum. I started this topic in order to check if it's something that people in this forum can be interested in. You know, a group with only me as member it would be a bit sad! Posted Image
But if ascacioc is in, I can try to create a group (already 2 members!) and see how many people join and how active it is.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.