• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Method for protein concentration measurement

protein concentration measurement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rchqing

Rchqing

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi, everyone!

I purified a protein several days ago and measured the concentration of the sample yesterday using two different method. First, it was measured by BCA kit. the concentration is 7.6mg/ml. Then I measured UV280 of the sample and the concentration was calculated to be 14.3mg/ml(I know the Ext. coefficient). This is very strange! I don't know which method is more convincible. Which method do you usually use for protein concentration measurement?

I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

factors that could affect your protein determination:

standard protein used to calibrate the bca

buffer in which the protein is solubilized

absorbance reading (linear range of the assay, dynamic range of the spectrophotometer)

dilution of the sample (to stay within effective range)

purity of the protein
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

My money would be on the BCA reading. It would be unusual for BCA to give a dramatically low reading unless you have a copper chelator present.

#4 Smog187

Smog187

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

If you know the amino acid sequence then I would trust the Native scan. You could determine the concentration by denaturing your protein with some NaOH and using the extinction coefficient of your protein with the Tyrosines and Tryptophans at 260nm (if you have these amino acids).

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

If you know the amino acid sequence then I would trust the Native scan. You could determine the concentration by denaturing your protein with some NaOH and using the extinction coefficient of your protein with the Tyrosines and Tryptophans at 260nm (if you have these amino acids).

that should be 280nm
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#6 Smog187

Smog187

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

that should be 280nm

Yeah! Thanks for catching that!

#7 Rchqing

Rchqing

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thank you very much! Could you give some suggestions about how much NaOH is needed?

#8 Smog187

Smog187

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thank you very much! Could you give some suggestions about how much NaOH is needed?

We use a final NaOH concentration of 0.1N in the cuvette. Also, make sure the cuvette you're using is designed to be used in the UV range.

#9 Rchqing

Rchqing

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

We use a final NaOH concentration of 0.1N in the cuvette. Also, make sure the cuvette you're using is designed to be used in the UV range.

OK! Thank you very much!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.