• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

If Colony plated on plate coming below agar, is it contamination?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

If Colony plated on plate coming below agar, is it contamination?

#2 Akdor

Akdor

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

When you plate bacteria onto a Medium-Agar plate the bacteria should growth on the surface of the agar, otherwise your plate its contaminated from the time of preparation.

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Depends on what you call "below", its hard to tell.

Sometimes people think its "below", while in fact its just an optical "illusion". Or sometimes bacteria can grow into the medium/agar...

Its hard to tell, but if you have doubts (and never seen this before with that specific bacterium) then just trow it out...
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#4 metionina

metionina

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would say yes, contamination.
But just try to isolate them!

#5 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 300 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Sometimes people think its "below", while in fact its just an optical "illusion". Or sometimes bacteria can grow into the medium/agar...

Its hard to tell, but if you have doubts (and never seen this before with that specific bacterium) then just trow it out...

Its not optical illusion. I collected colony by 1-10ul tip. I have to pierce the gel to reach it. I collected it. It has grown in LB. planning to check it.

Edited by prabhubct, 06 September 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#6 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Its not optical illusion. I collected colony by 1-10ul tip. I have to pierce the gel to reach it. I collected it. It has grown in LB. planning to check it.

Ok

then its most likely contamination.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#7 Akdor

Akdor

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

The next time you prepare your LB plates take one and keep it Overnight at 37°C. If something grows on it discard the rest. This will save you time and money.

#8 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 300 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

Ok

Can you say what contamination would grow below agar surface? Is it fungi? or bacteria? could they be anaerobic bacteria growing below surface?

#9 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

i would put my money on fungi :P but you never know unless you spend time to regrow them and do a simple microscopy :)

#10 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Ok

Can you say what contamination would grow below agar surface? Is it fungi? or bacteria? could they be anaerobic bacteria growing below surface?

Most likely fungi yes.

Could be a bacterium too.. hard to tell, you would need to look at it under the microscope.

#11 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 300 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Did fungi not supposed to grow on antibiotic containing LB? b/c they didn't? As far as I know antibiotic may not be inhibiting fungi growth.

#12 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Did fungi not supposed to grow on antibiotic containing LB? b/c they didn't? As far as I know antibiotic may not be inhibiting fungi growth.

Not sure I understand you correctly.

Fungi can grow on medium containing antibiotic yes.

#13 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 300 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

but my colony are not growing on medium containing antibiotic. So I am assuming they are not fungi.

Edited by prabhubct, 07 September 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#14 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

but my colony are not growing on medium containing antibiotic. So I am assuming they are not fungi.

Oh ok.
Its possible that its not a fungi.
Hard to tell.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.