• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Error rate of commecial reverse transcriptase

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gyma

gyma

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

hello everyone, I have been using superscript III from Invitrogen for a long time but I never know the error rate of this enzyme. I learned from wikipedia that promega's enzymes have error rates in the range of 1 in 17,000 bases for AMV and 1 in 30,000 bases for M-MLV. Since superscript III is from MMLV, the error rate should also be 1/30000? Reverse transcriptases have higher error rates than DNA polymerases. I wonder whether this will affect our RT-PCR results? Thank you.

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I don't think it would. There are many copies of the original template and errors are not multiplied like in PCR. A mutation in 3' end of your primer binding site can abolish binding of this particular molecule, but there is so much RNA there, that the chance is very low. Unless you want to clone the RT-PCR product I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.