• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCR band moves lower than its size on agarose gel

secondary structure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Anybody experienced something like this before?

I have amplified a 3.5 kb band with PCR but on agarose gel it stops at nearly 3.1 kb. I gel extracted the band and ligated it to pJet and sent for sequencing. The sequencing results show this is the same 3.5 kb band that I was expecting.

But then again, when I digest the plasmid with RE enzymes to get the insert out, the band that appears is exactly at the same size of 3.1 kb. It's driving me mad. All other PCR products move to 3.5 kb, except this product.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,589 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Highly G/C rich would give some secondary structure which could result in running at a different size.

#3 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

when I digest the plasmid to release the insert, I see another faint band at 2.5 kb too. That's why I thought maybe there is a secondary structure forming there. But if this band successfully ligates into my plasmid then it means that it is in linear form when it is replicating in TOP10. How come it forms secondary structure so quickly after digestion? I don't understand.

#4 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

You can probably try to run it in denaturing conditions to test this, I think it will be the same as for RNA, formamide in the sample or something.
Also differences in other reaction components maybe causing shift, as seem commonly in the RE digest bands. We add appropriate restriction buffer to our DNA marker when checking restricted fragments. Doesn't happed in PCR though, but maybe there is something in your reaction that makes it more charged.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: secondary structure

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.