• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Expression and Lysozyme

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mike79

mike79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Hi everyone, I have registered to ask for your help regarding expression and the addition of lysozyme.
My problem is that my desired protein to be expressed is ~14 KD and when I add lysozyme as part of the expression protocol (about 10mg) I get an inactive protein which I think is just the remaining lysozyme. I use expression by sonication using BL21 cells.
Is there any way around this? Is using lysoyme necessary for expression and protein extraction, or is there any alternative to lysozyme that is not 14kd?
Thank for your help in advance.

#2 mike79

mike79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I am really amazed as to how this forum is almost dormant. I was hoping someone might have an input.

#3 Sheepy

Sheepy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi, you might want to consider a lysis buffer instead of using lysozyme if you are worried about it interfering with your analysis.
I've only used the FastBreak lysis reagent from Promega so that is the only one I can recommend from experience.

#4 Missle

Missle

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Good

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Sonication alone can work quite well if you optimize your conditions. Lysozyme is helpful but not necessary. If you put your pellet thru a freeze-thaw or two that will increase you lysis as well. I've also used SoluLyse - a commercial lysis detergent reagent.

Good Luck!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.