• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is the genomic DNA similar among different cell lines?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gyma

gyma

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hi everyone, I tried to amplify a promoter region of my interested gene from genomic DNA of a cell line. Unfortunately, I didnot get a specific product. There might be problems elsewhere including the PCR conditions, primers and so on. But I want to make sure one thing first, is this promoter present in the genomic DNA of the cell line that I used? Although the gene is only expressed in specific tissues, I thought genomic DNA should be no big different among different tissues. That is why I didnt pay much attention to the template DNA and used the one that I have on hand. Am I wrong? Should I use the gene specific tissue for promoter amplification?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

The promoter should be about the same in most cell lines from the same species, though there could be a number of mutations etc., that might have taken place, dependent on the cell line.

#3 gyma

gyma

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

that means theoretically, I should be able to get the promoter sequence from the genomic DNA that I used, even if the gene is not expressed at all?

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes.

#5 gyma

gyma

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Yes.

thank you very much.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.