• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

Easy to purify Plasmid using Lambda genes

Microbiology plasmids

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Koeng

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

While cross-referencing data from several different vectors, I remember Lambda’s mechanism for replication. It hides until the host’s chromosome is disrupted by U.V. light. While I was thinking of this, and how big it’s chromosome was, I realized that it could be possible to cut the gene for repressing the lambda’s genome into a plasmid (pUC18 or 19 for high plasmid yield), along with it’s bactericide. Maybe a few modifications here and there. This could be a high yield plasmid, and unlike lets say a phix174 vector, no need for taking out the viral proteins. Once they where in a vector, when you wanted to get the plasmids back no need for the complicated plasmid removal, just use U.V. light for a few hours and once they are lysed, extract the plasmids by say, centrifugation! I am no expert at how to extract plasmids, but does anyone think this might be a good idea? (p.s. anyone know any archaeal plasmids?)

No more buying plasmid extraction kits!
Possible to keep plasmids in bacteria and use other methods with experimentation
Make up your own idea!

Why not just use lambda?
Why not just use another viral vector with the proteins taken out?
This would be hard to make!

Any input?

-(Edited Portion) I could make a map with either SnapGene viewer or SerialCloner if anyone wants

Edited by Koeng, 05 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.