• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Easy to purify Plasmid using Lambda genes

Microbiology plasmids

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Koeng

Koeng

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

While cross-referencing data from several different vectors, I remember Lambda’s mechanism for replication. It hides until the host’s chromosome is disrupted by U.V. light. While I was thinking of this, and how big it’s chromosome was, I realized that it could be possible to cut the gene for repressing the lambda’s genome into a plasmid (pUC18 or 19 for high plasmid yield), along with it’s bactericide. Maybe a few modifications here and there. This could be a high yield plasmid, and unlike lets say a phix174 vector, no need for taking out the viral proteins. Once they where in a vector, when you wanted to get the plasmids back no need for the complicated plasmid removal, just use U.V. light for a few hours and once they are lysed, extract the plasmids by say, centrifugation! I am no expert at how to extract plasmids, but does anyone think this might be a good idea? (p.s. anyone know any archaeal plasmids?)

Good-

No more buying plasmid extraction kits!
Possible to keep plasmids in bacteria and use other methods with experimentation
Make up your own idea!

Bad-

Why not just use lambda?
Why not just use another viral vector with the proteins taken out?
This would be hard to make!

Any input?

-Koeng

-(Edited Portion) I could make a map with either SnapGene viewer or SerialCloner if anyone wants

Edited by Koeng, 05 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.