• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

A good vector to make gene library?

gene library vector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hi, I plan to make a subgenomic library.

I am interested in a protein encoded by a 2kb gene from a bacteria, but I cannot find which gene it is (I only know the gene size). So I want to digest the bacteria genomic DNA with Sau 3AI, purify 2kb fragments, ligate to a vector, and express it in E.coli. Then I would use a selection method to find the E.coli that have the vecor with my interested insert.

Now I have problem in choosing the vector. Would you please give me some suggestions? I am new in this area and need your help. Thanks a lot!

#2 Koeng

Koeng

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

I am new too, but I would use either pUC18 or pUC19, because they give high yields of plasmids. Good luck with that!

-Koeng

#3 Koeng

Koeng

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Also you can use them because of the "blue white" screen. The MCS is inside of the lacZ gene, so plasmids that where sucessfully ligated will be white, while the un-ligated ones will still be blue.

-Koeng

#4 zogene

zogene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi

I would suggest to clone your gene to expression vector since you want to purify recombinant protein, pGEX and pET vectors are popular for this purpose, I did not do it by myself my boss did and I will begin with it within few days hopfully, do not forget to use expression bacteria either in your experiment, good luck.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world"

#5 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi

I would suggest to clone your gene to expression vector since you want to purify recombinant protein, pGEX and pET vectors are popular for this purpose, I did not do it by myself my boss did and I will begin with it within few days hopfully, do not forget to use expression bacteria either in your experiment, good luck.

How about pET28b, and BL21 (E.coli DE3)? Do you think it reasonable? Thanks!

#6 zogene

zogene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hello

yes I think they are fine, good luck

regards,
zogene

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.