• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Cloning genetic sequences of proteins.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alexifrank

alexifrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi guys, Im an undergrad student and i am having some trouble working out the basis for my upcoming project.
I have been told I have a protein that is purified to homogeneity and that i need to work out how to clone the genetic sequence for the protein.
The information given is as follows:
it is a single polypeptide protein, that is soluble.
has been isolated from cultured human fibroblast cells (skin cells) that are maintained in tissue culture.
Expression of the protein can be induced in the fibroblast cultures by briefly exposing the cells to 40oC for 30 minutes and waiting 2 hours.
The homologous protein from pigs has been purified and characterised. The pig protein appears to carry out the same function as the human protein and a cDNA and antibodies raised against the pig protein are available for you to use.

I know i need a plasmid but I am not sure what type, not used so much to dealing with mammalian proteins. Do i need one with particular selectable markers or a certain ori?
Thanks in advance if anyone can lend me a hand :)

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

the thing is that it is very likely that the human plypeptide is already cloned; so, a genetic data bank alignment with the pig cDNA will probably give the required information about the human cDNA;

you can subclone it into a mammalian expression vector optionally with a reporter gene or tag and/or a selection marker to select positive cells...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.