• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

adherence to host cell question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 biology_06er

biology_06er

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

Question, and sorry if it sounds dumb! :P

If a bacterium is covered by a capsule, and you have a possible adhesin embedded in the cell membrane, does the capsule not hinder the ability of the adhesin to adhere to the host cell?

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Not 100% sure what you mean, but as far as I understand it you have a bacterium (I suppose more then just 1 bactial cell) in a capsule (like a drug, medicine capsule)?

If so, yes, a long as the capsule is there (around the bacterial cell) then the bacterium cant adhere to the host cell..

I am not sure this is what you mean and I also find it a bit strange for a question.
Are you thinking about probioticum capsules perhaps? or something like that?
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#3 Julio-Claudian

Julio-Claudian

i'm unmethylated

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Or if you're talking about bacterial capsule, the polysaccharide capsule is said to be involved in attachment/adherence to host cells too.

The "adhesins" may also be polymeric molecules bound to the tips of the fimbriae (or any other cellular structures). So the presence of a capsule would not stop the bacterium from sticking.

See Figure 2 of this article: http://mmg.uth.tmc.e...llen_040312.pdf

Really, pito's probiotic capsules or the structural capsule? Posted Image

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.