• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tissue culture contamination like bacteria inside the cells. What is this kind o

contamination bacteria inside the cells tissue culture

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 audreybe

audreybe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

I have noticed some bodies inside my fibroblastic cells, I really need to know what kind of contamination it is in order to not repeat my mistakes. I do think it is a bacterial contamination.

These black/green bodies are inside the cells, just few cells have it. Cells of this plate grow very slowly.

The media looks clear.

Thank you very much for your help

Audrey

Attached Thumbnails

• picture1.OX.jpg
  • picture 4.jpg
  • picture 3.jpg
  • picture 2.jpg

#2 LostintheLab

LostintheLab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi audreybe,

I doubt that this is bacterial contamination- the media would be cloudy and the dots would be much, much smaller than the cells and probably moving.
The overall appearance of the fibroblasts are not very happy looking- there are lots of vacuoles and I suspect your cells are either apoptosing or necrosing.
If it is an infection, I would say it looks possibly like a fungal infection.
I would throw these cells and start again with fresh media and give your incubator and hoods a good clean out (if you're not already doing that).
Sorry, but I hope that helps

Edited by LostintheLab, 29 May 2012 - 06:22 AM.

I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.