• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

data analysis for RT_PCR

RT-PCR qPCR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nkl

nkl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hello all,
I wanted some help in my real time pcr data analysis. I want to study expression levels of a gene, say gene X on a 24 hour scale. i.e. I want to study how expression levels on gene x varies across a day. I use a ribosomal protein gene ( house keeping gene) as my control. So if i have to calculate the fold increase in my gene X using comparative Ct method , given that i have Ct values for gene X and endogenous control can i use equation fold increase = 2^ (Ct control-Ct gene X)? Because technically comparative Ct methods uses 2^( (Ct control-test gene)in test/treated sample- (Ct control-test) in control/untreated sample). This applies for studies where you have a treated and untreated sample which is not the same in my case. All i have is a single tissue sample and i want to know the expression level of gene x relative to endogenous control.
Thanks

Edited by nkl, 27 May 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

In time-course studies, expression at zero timepoint is usually taken as control or "untreated" and the rest of samples as "treated". Then you use standard equation.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 biznatch

biznatch

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

Expression of your housekeeping gene can change over time. I would use at least two independent housekeeping genes in a timecourse experiment (eg. Gapdh and Bactin), at least until you establish that your housekeeping gene is consistent.

Edited by biznatch, 29 May 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#4 nkl

nkl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

In time-course studies, expression at zero timepoint is usually taken as control or "untreated" and the rest of samples as "treated". Then you use standard equation.

hmmm... i have not come across such method of analysis at least not in papers from my field... I think i will try that as well... thanks a lot!!!!

#5 nkl

nkl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Expression of your housekeeping gene can change over time. I would use at least two independent housekeeping genes in a timecourse experiment (eg. Gapdh and Bactin), at least until you establish that your housekeeping gene is consistent.

well yes I do agree with that but i presume not as much as the genes i study... and more over normalizing it with the housekeeping gene should take care of that error right!!! I use rp49 and beta actin as well and atleast till now i have not seen much variation across a day unless the cells are subjected to some sort of stress..

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.