• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Stop scratching and opening of mouse wounds...

mouse bandage irritation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 assembler01

assembler01

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

When you get a mouse with a fight wound (or for any other reason), there seems to be about a 50% chance of it improving right away with treatment and a 50% chance of the mouse scratching and reopening the wound again. Here, we normally use an iodine gelatin solution to treat the wounds and/or antibiotics in the water. I've noticed that often the mice scratch at their wounds and that it seems to keep them open, even if treated. I know they normally groom their wounds anyway, but I thought that was more with their mouths, not their paws. Anyway, assuming some of the "chronic" wounds are due to scratching I am trying some hydrocortisone anti-itch cream on some of them now. I also tried trimming the toenails or even toe-clipping of those mice to see if that will make an improvement. Has anyone tried covering the wounds with a bandage, either a typical bandage or some gauze and medical tape? Which would keep it cleaner, a bandage or allowing them to groom (unless they scratch)? If a bandage would just get scratched off, would a liquid bandage get scratched off? Just curious if anyone else has tried, especially with the constant scratching mice.

Thanks.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.