• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

a simple question to statistics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Let´s say I have 3 groups of independent data sets (n=3), each group of sample size N=5;
for each group I can determine mean (X1,X2,X3) and standard deviation (SD1,SD2,SD3);

my question is: How to correctly determine the standard error of means (SEM) of the mean of the 3 means (X1-X3)? I think I have to take the SD of each group into account, but by which method?Posted Image

#2 red_monkey

red_monkey

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'd like to know something along these lines too.

So...3 samples/animals, 3 repeats each. If I want to summarise the whole lot, do I take the mean and SEM of the mean for each animal or the mean and SEM of all 9 repeats...or some other method?

#3 ostiaziocan

ostiaziocan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hi,

assuming that your data sets are generated following the same experimental protocol, I think you can first calculate the mean in each independent data set and then use the obtained values to calculate the mean. In this case the associated SD need to be calculated using all the means of your independent data sets.

Hope it helps Posted Image Posted Image

#4 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 162 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Let´s say I have 3 groups of independent data sets (n=3), each group of sample size N=5;
for each group I can determine mean (X1,X2,X3) and standard deviation (SD1,SD2,SD3);

my question is: How to correctly determine the standard error of means (SEM) of the mean of the 3 means (X1-X3)? I think I have to take the SD of each group into account, but by which method?Posted Image

My interpretation of this is that you are after the intergroup variation in which case you calculate the standard deviation of just the three means (remembering to use sample stdev, n-1=2). You would then use the pooled standard deviation as the within-group variation.

So...3 samples/animals, 3 repeats each. If I want to summarise the whole lot, do I take the mean and SEM of the mean for each animal or the mean and SEM of all 9 repeats...or some other method?

Whereas this is asking for the global standard deviation; grouping all 9 repeats.

#5 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Any approach to combine these data statistically would probably look strange when you publish the results. This is normally done by just reporting the results of one "representative" experiment and indicating in the text that you repeated it 3 times. Where you are working with animals, you can probably justify doing just about anything though.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.