• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Glucose Assay

glucose assay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anand8

anand8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

Hi guys,

Im new to the forums but wondering if anyone know of a cheap and simple glucose assay technique?

The commercial ones are quite expensive especially if performing multiple assays!

Thanks in advance
Anand

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

Diabetic test strips, although limited in range, work very well, and are very carefully tested for sensitivity.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

...but calibrated for blood glucose. So if you use them you should test if they are similar sensitive and exact for your samples (there were some substances that I not exactly remember, anyway also other sugars that are perhaps in the sample but never in blood, and then result in false measurements).
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#4 anand8

anand8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thanks a lot!

Any colorimetric assay that you know of which I can make up in the lab?

Cheers

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Some assay kits still exist (e.g. from Sigma Aldrich indirectly and enzymatically (glucose oxidase/peroxidase) with production of a coloured product that is measured at 540 nm and using a calibration curve as standard)....Have a look here.
Also via NADPH production with hexokinase at 340 nm kits exit(ed).
Surely also from other companies and perhaps today something more practically needing less effort, time and sample volumes, exists (no idea).

Edited by hobglobin, 09 May 2012 - 07:18 AM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.