• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Denatured ethanol and DNA preservation

DNA extraction DNA preservation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CanJenni

CanJenni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

I am collecting insects abroad and in many countries the only ethanol available to buy to perserve tissue (whole insects) is denatured ethanol. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for the DNA? We are not likely to be able to freeze the specimens, can anyone think of any other way of bringing them back for genetic work?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

It depends on the additives which make up the denaturing part, but in general, if it is mostly methanol, it should be fine.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

This is always an issue and I had sometimes severe problems with this (e.g. with traps, but here also the dilution and evaporation is important), especially when you or others use low quality denatured ethanol. Anyway so far I never really found out what the DNA killed....Not sure if the MEK, pyridine or other stuff (e.g. production contaminants in not purified enough ethanol) is responsible...anyway stuff like "methylated spirits" you use for igniting barbecues I would definitely avoid.
Now I avoid denatured ethanol generally if it's possible for such samples, or when sampling with it I change ethanol when back in the lab. It's also a factor of money Posted Image .
There are several papers about it. One tested several denaturating agents, but I cannot find it at the moment.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.