• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

HaCat mysterious bubbles

HaCat contaminant culture

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EvilTwin

EvilTwin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

I've encountered a number of strangely looking cells in my HaCaT culture. About 5% of the cells look like they had a few bubbles inside. They are normal in size and shape but instead of grains and a hint of nucleus they seem to be almost completely filled with 3-20 large droplets of liquid (which irrefutably resemble vacuoles). The rest of the cells look healthy, I don't observe many dead cells in medium, nevertheless the growth is somehow inhibited.

I will check the cells for mycoplasma anyway, but such bubbles are not listed as a symptom of mycoplasma contamination. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Edited by EvilTwin, 17 April 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Senescent cells often get vacuoles in them.

#3 EvilTwin

EvilTwin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thank you Posted Image I guess it was because the poor condition of my cells. In case anyone has a similar problem: no infection developed, after subculturing 3 times my cells look very good. PCR didn't reveal mycoplasma contamination. It seems to me that the cells just didn't like freezing, because the phenomenon appeared right after getting them from the bank.

Edited by EvilTwin, 14 May 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,835 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Any given population of cells will have some senescent cells in it, so don't be too worried, unless you see a higher abundance than normal.

#5 h9494036

h9494036

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Eviltwin: Hacat cells also require a rather high cell density to grow. If the density is too low, they do not like the environment and they start forming vacuoles. Nothing wrong with the cells, I believe.

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,835 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

If the density is too low, they do not like the environment and they start forming vacuoles.

This is known as senescence and is irreversible for those cells that start it.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.