• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

70% ethanol in tap water...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Whoa... You work in the lab and you seriously ask this kind of questions?... *facepalm*

Not sure what you mean here... because there is no microiological reason to prefer dH20 in stead of using tap water...
Same goes for ddH20.

I do not know from what lab you are, but in my lab MiliQ water doesn't contain bacteria. At least not at the point leaving the machine.

You are using MQ water to make 70% ethanol? Either you are not cleaning a lot with that or your lab must be filthy rich..
I also wonder: how often is your MQ system checked? Because often labs buy this kind of equipment, but dont really check it like they should.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#17 cshmech

cshmech

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Okay, If i install a DI water source is it gonna make any difference or will it be the same as using the tap water? And what is an MQ system?

#18 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Okay, If i install a DI water source is it gonna make any difference or will it be the same as using the tap water? And what is an MQ system?

The DI water, you mean distilled water or demineralised?

There is no reason , microbiologically, to use "special" water for the ethanol solutions.
So not sure its worth making the trouble.
It all depends on what you expect.
The major reason to use "special" water is to lower the lime content in the water to prevent getting lime spots on glasware or clotting of spraybottles etc.

MQ = milli Q water (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli-Q)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#19 cshmech

cshmech

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

DI - de-ionized water.

#20 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

DI - de-ionized water.

Its just another word for demineralized water

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.