• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Signal stuck on top of seperating gel

sds-page signal trapping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sarah123

sarah123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Hello!

I am transfecting pcDNA-constructs into HEK293 cells. After lysation I was usually
able to detect massive signals of my protein (~140kDa) via SDS-PAGE and Western Blotting.
But now it gets frequently stuck on top of the separating gel. Its definitely specific binding, so
i think the transfection efficiency is fine...
I excluded troubles with the sds-loading- and running buffer and also the gels are fine (10%).
Other samples with the same protein are running normal on the gel and don't get stuck.
And I also didn't change anything about the Lysis Buffer (TritonX-100 as detergent)...
I'm really lost right now... :-/
Any suggestions what could cause this?
Thank you!

#2 mhr

mhr

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Can you be a bit more clear by what you mean by "stuck"? Is the sample getting stuck while running (ie: the loading dye is not moving), or are you seeing your protein run higher when blotting? 10% seems a bit high for a protein that large, I would recommend a 7.5% with a 3-5% stacking. Alternatley, have you started using a new batch of SDS-loading buffer that may not be made properly and may not be denaturing as it should be? Have you run samples from these lysates previously? What protocol are you using?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.