• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

how to make nondenaturing gradient gel

gradient gel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kikikeekee

kikikeekee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have many problems about making nondenaturing gradient gel. I try to make 2-16% nondenaturing gradient gel (without SDS) but I don't know how to do it. Can someone please help me?

1. How many volumes of solution A (16%) and B (2%)? Do I have to fill them in the reservoir as eual volume? (I use Hoefer miniVE 10*10.5 cm)

2. When do I open the valve of solution A and the valve between A and B? In my opinion, first I have to fill the solution A and B in reservoir, then open valve A (how long?), open the pump, finally open the valve between A and B (there is the flow of solution A and B in this step). but I'm not sure what the right protocol is.

I hope someone can help me...

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

1. equal volumes of solutions A and B, respectively

2. I use to open both valves simultaneously; use a stirer for tube with solution A; I do not use a pump but flow by gravity

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

we use unequal volumes due to density differences (which we enhance with sucrose, also different percentages in the heavy and light solutions). the exact volumes depend on those densities.

we always allow the heavy solution to completely traverse the bottom before opening the valve between solutions (we pour from the top, if you pour from the bottom then you will want the light solution to go first).

Edited by mdfenko, 21 February 2012 - 12:56 PM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.