• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Trypan Blue Staining

trypan blue staining cell culturing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 labnewbie

labnewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Is it possible to stain with trypan blue in the petri dish itself, without lifting the cells and counting them in a hemacytometer? If so, does anyone have a protocol for it?

#2 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

how do you plan to get the cells into hemocytometer without lifting them?

Just add a few microliter of trypan blue will stain your cells on a petri dish. But you have to trypsinize them to get them into a hemocytometer.

#3 labnewbie

labnewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

that's the thing, i don't want to get them into a hemocytometer--I don't want to lift or count in a hemocytometer.
I want to be able to stain them in the dish so I can just visualize approx number of dead cells, after doing that, I want to stain the cells. I want to be able to distinguish between dead and alive cells.
Do you have any suggestions/protocol of dilution of trypan blue/how long to leave in the dish. have you ever done it before?

#4 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I havn't stained for trypan and with another staining simultaneously. You could try it. But wash well, before the actual staining procedure.

For the trypan staining, I just add 10ul into 100ul cell suspension and you can look at them immediately under the hemacytometer.

One concern would be that during the staining procedure, you could lose the dead cells.
May be setup 2 dishes, one for counting dead cells with trypan and other for staining.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.