• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Calculating siRNA Transfection Efficiency

siRNA transfection efficiency

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vetvinoth

vetvinoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hi all,

I am going to Transfect siRNA in primary Chicken embryo fibroblast. Please suggest me how to calculate the transfection efficiency.
I ve read about using fluorescently labelled siRNAs like Alexa flour. But presently our Flow cytometer is not working. please suggest me an alternative as i am nearing my year end of my research and i have to finish my work.

THanks....
VetVinoth

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

You can also view the transfected cells under a microscope to determine how many cells are fluorescence positive.

#3 vetvinoth

vetvinoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

Thank you for your reply,

i also thought of counting cells but regarding calculating transfection efficiency please suggest weather i can calculate by this formula

(NO of Cells showing fluorescence in a field / total no of cells in a field ) * 100

or any other method is there...

Vinoth

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

That formula will give you a percentage, so it is correct for that method. If you wanted to do a lot of work determining the baselines and fluorescence levels for particular percentage transfections, you could use a fluorescent plate reader to determine the efficiency.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.