• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Help - Synthesis of Peroxynitrite

Peroxynitrite antioxidant free radical

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lyse88

Lyse88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi guys,

I am doing a research project on antioxidant activities of plant extracts. I am trying to synthesize peroxynitrite for the peroxynitrite free radical scavening assay and I have been unable to do so.

I used a method similar to the one described in the paper 'Antoxidant and free radical scavening activity of Spondias pinnata' written by Bibhabasu Haszra, Santanu Biswas and Nripendranath Mandal.

We mixed:
- 5ml of acidified (0.6 Hcl) 0.7M H2O2
- 5ml NaNo2
on an ice bath for 1 second.

We then added 5ml of ice-cold 1.2M NaOH and treated the solution with MnO2 (prewashed with 1.2M NaOH) to remove excess H2O2

This was then incubated -20 degrees celius overnight. It says to then collect the peroxynitrite from the top of frozen mixture. There seems like their might be a layer on top but it is not clealy clearly visible. I repeated the experiment and once again did not seem to work.

My supervisor is away on holidays so I am alone on this one for a while. If anybody has synthesised peroxynitrite before successfully some tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peroxynitrite, antioxidant, free radical

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.