• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Question about publications

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Ho

Ryan Ho

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hey there,

I've been doing my masters in a pretty big lab for about 4 months now. The PI I work for is very successful with more than 400 publications to date. I've been quite frustrated recently, for one thing, it seems like I'm going nowhere with my experiments and I also feel like a small fish in a big pond. There are some really brilliant people doing collaborations everywhere, getting their names on so many publications.

As a new graduate student, it's kind of discouraging, because here I'am trying to get something simple to work out and everyone else seems to be getting publications up the yin yang. I'm doing a project working with 2 genes, and if I'm lucky I'll be writing for 2 publications by the summer. However some people I see have their names on something like 10 publications and they aren't even finished their PhD yet. How is this even possible? I know people take on side projects, but how many can you take on at a time? Even more, I was looking through another PI's publication record that our lab collaborates with and he had something like 25+ publications in his PhD + post doc, quite a few where he was first author. I'm thinking right now, how on earth is this even possible? He must have been coming up with side projects or collaborations every month! Even more how did he even have the time to do that many experiments while writing for the publications? Plus all the other things he had to do like classes and having a life.

I'm pretty dedicated in the lab but one thing I don't understand is how people get their name on so many publications. I myself am already thinking of possible side projects, but taking these side projects and turning them into publications is a time consuming process. Can anyone clear the air for me?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.