• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Changing research subject

postdoc chemical ecology

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

Hi all!
Now that the year is coming to an end and a new one is starting, I'm making the list of things that I want to do for the next year. One of the things that I would really like is to finish my PhD and start a postdoc.

I have decided to do a postdoc with the condition of changing research topic. I have not had a very good experience during the PhD, which has not been so bad as to quit from science, but I think I need a change.

I have been working on plant viruses so far, and I think I would like to keep on working with plants, but not with viruses. At this moment I am very interested in chemical ecology, since it puts together two of things which I like the most: biochemistry and field work, or at least, the biochemical study of natural processes that happen not only in the lab, but also in the field.

The problem is that even though I have a background in molecular biology, I don't have experience in analytical techniques such as HPLC, etc. Of course, I consider myself absolutely capable of learning.

If you were an PI, would you accept a postdoc researcher with little experience on the topic that you work on? Would this be a problem even if the person shows a high motivation? Being a PI, would you recommend postdocs to change subject in order to open their minds to learn new things? Do you think that this would be the right moment for a change of path?

Thanks for your advice, and Merry Christmas (for those of you who celebrate it)!!

Edited by OA17, 23 December 2011 - 09:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: postdoc, chemical ecology

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.