• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Error bars for qPCR; technical vs. biological replicate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kaveh

kaveh

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

ABI has a step by step guide for qPCR statistics that ultimately gives you the fold change and the standard deviation (can be found here). My assumption is that the calculated SD only represents the variation in technical replicates and not the biological replicates.

How would you incorporate the variations in both technical and biological replicates into the final error bars (say SD)? Is the technical replicate SD is reflected in the final result at all?

any input is highly appreciated.

Kaveh

#2 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

From what I have seen, most people just plot technical replicates +/- error bars (95% CIs) and then they indicate that they repeated the experiment 2 or 3 times and had similar results. I think for biological replicates you are correct in assuming that you just ignore the SD for the technical replicates and just calculate the mean and SD for the biological replicates.

#3 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

Yes, we take SD of technical replicates as a indication how precise was the experiment, but if we plott biological replicates, we only calculate SD for the biological ones and ignore the technical.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.