• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Loading buffer with beta mercaptoethanol = toxic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

Beta mercaptoethanol is mentioned to be toxic on its labelling, if so, do we have to use it with caution when included in SDS loading buffers? Wearing a mask/using it under biohazard hood?

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,710 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

many use it under a fume hood. i work with the undiluted in the fume hood but use the dilute sample buffer at the bench when preparing samples for sds-page (some people complain).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

many use it under a fume hood. i work with the undiluted in the fume hood but use the dilute sample buffer at the bench when preparing samples for sds-page (some people complain).

2-ME really makes the loading buffer pungent when used outside a fume hood. My question has arisen because since I'm 'inhaling' so much of that, don't know if I should start taking precautions and take a little more effort to prepare all the samples under a hood which can be troublesome.

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,710 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

the merck index (9th edition, sorry, it's the newest one i have) doesn't give a ld or ld50 for 2-mercaptoethanol or mention toxicity.

this doesn't mean you should not take standard precautions and use safety procedures. it is a reducing agent so may be corrosive to skin. it is known to attack the mucosa so you want to limit exposure to its fumes.

as with any chemical, treat it with respect and you won't have to fear it.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,509 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Have a look here, I'd use a fume hood.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.