• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

BLAST of shRNA sequence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ambinlab

Ambinlab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Dear all,

I want to blast my shrna sequence to see if it is specific. I used megablast (NCBI) and nucleotide collection as database. I got many many things other than my gene of interest.

Could you please tell me, how I can determine if my shrna is specific enough to my gene of interest? Is "total score" a good representative for specificity? Should I use nucleotide collection as database or refseq-rna (this one gives less hits)?

Thanks

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

To make your BLAST results easier to read, just use the sequence in the shRNA for the antisense strand of the siRNA as query (exclude loop, and flanking sequence in the shRNA) and RefSeq as the database. Your target gene should be at the top of the hit list. there may be partial matches to unrelated genes, that is fine if the matches are not significant (>80% homology) especially in the seed region.

#3 Ambinlab

Ambinlab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Thanks pcrman,

what is seed region? sorry I know it is a silly question....I got what I attached to this post. it is around 100 other genes that are matching my antisense sequence. does it mean this shrna has lots of off targets?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.