• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Designing of RNA probe for in situ hybridization

in situ hybridizati RNA probe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tapi

tapi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

Hi everybody. I would like to ask about general tips for choosing a specific region in a gene of interest for obtaining a DIG RNA probe for in situ hybridization. Which is the optimal size, %GC, if it´s better to use 5´or 3´regions, which hyb temperature is the optimal for a start....

Thanks to all!!!

#2 David C H

David C H

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have used large fragments and even the entire gene. Cloned the whole gene (or 1000+ bp fragments) into a plasmid with a T7 or SP6 promoter, made DIG-RNA from that and then hydrolyzed the RNA into 150bp fragments. The protocol I used is similar to this (scroll down to page 6):

http://dps.plants.ox...hyb_general.pdf

If you are concerned about cross hybridization, do a blast search -- if you find long hits (50+bp) of very high homology (very few mismatches), you could clone segments of your gene that exclude those regions.

Hyb temperature is related to your hyb buffer. The protocol above is done at 50deg, which is common when substantial amounts of formamide are included in the buffer.

Edited by David C H, 30 November 2011 - 08:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: in situ hybridizati, RNA probe

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.