• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Anyone thinking about Christmas yet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

What are the Christmas holidays for the scientific community like around the world? Do most people take extended work/study leave?

#2 LostintheLab

LostintheLab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

It varies- when I was finishing my PhD I was in work Christmas eve. Now I take an extended break. In Japan, Christmas was a normal non-holiday day in work, Here in the UK, our uni shuts December 22nd so not many people around
I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Christmas? There is no snow in my country, my impression about Christmas is endless year end shopping and sale sale sale sale sale sale....
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 329 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

Christmas is a one day affair in India. But I wish it were longer.

With 24 days to go, we could start sharing hymns and carols here.
I am not Christian and therefore do not know many of them. It would be a nice learning curve though.

Let me start

NEW!!!!  Living with Malaria on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#5 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

My uni shuts down from lunchtime xmas eve until about the 6th Jan- so there is little point in being here....no one to order reagents (we have a departmental purchasing officer), run autoclaves (we can't run the decon ones ourselves, only the sterilisation ones), or things like that.

I always take two weeks or so to relax and spend time with family.

Life is to short to work all of the time (even if it means I'll take a little longer to finish my PhD).

I'm an athiest so Christmas has no religious meaning for me. To me christmas is a time to celebrate family and friends, to spend time together and to enjoy the beautiful summer weather (here in Aus).
My xmas day starts with a swim at the beach actually! Every year without fail!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.