• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Site directed mutagenesis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vgupta

vgupta

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 March 2003 - 04:14 PM

Has anyone carried site directed mutagenesis of a 20 kb plasmid? I have tried it using Quick change kit according to their protocol but it is not working. I don't get any colonies after transformation. The extension time I am using is 1 min/kb. I have tried 2 min/kb also with the addition of extra enzyme after 7 cycles. I were using 1 mM dNTPs. With 2 min extension time I get a smear and with 1 min I don't get anything. With less dNTPs (500 uM) and at annealing temperature of 68 deg instead of 60 I get multiple bands which are smaller than 20 kb . Does any one have any suggestions or conditions for carrying out that experiment?
Thanks.

#2 vgupta

vgupta

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:34 AM

No one?

#3 KateGUR

KateGUR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I have also been trying to make a specific mutation in a plasmid of 20Kb. I have tried Statagene's Lightning kit, but up to now, no clones! This is only the second time I tried, and I have gotten several clones growing, but all do not have the mutation! I'd be interested in any help, or other's experiences!

#4 mastermi

mastermi

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Don't you have a possibility to carry out the site-directed mutagenesis on a smaller plasmid and clone the fragment into the 20 kb plasmid?
I'm always using plasmids with a size of 2-4 kb for s-d mutagenesis, once tried it with a 6 kb one, and that already didn't work out...

#5 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Mastermi is right. Thats the way to go about it. What I do is to subclone a region that covers the site to be mutated, mutate the subclone and insert the fragment back. Use unique sites to take it out. However, I have gone upto 8 kb but don't prefer it as you are not sure of errors introduced during PCRing out long fragments.

Best,
TC

Don't you have a possibility to carry out the site-directed mutagenesis on a smaller plasmid and clone the fragment into the 20 kb plasmid?
I'm always using plasmids with a size of 2-4 kb for s-d mutagenesis, once tried it with a 6 kb one, and that already didn't work out...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.