• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

how to cite this

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 molbio1234

molbio1234

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

I am one of the authors in several authors listed on a recent publication. Including me, there are 15 other authors on the paper. I want to cite the paper in my resume but also show that my name is listed on the paper in the citation. I don't want to list all the author's name as there are too many. But do want my resume to show that my name is on the paper. How do I cite this correctly so that my name is included in the citation display and not lost in the world of "et.al".

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

you can write all the names and yours in bold (I'd do it this way), or just all names, until your name comes and then et al. (hopefully you're then not one of the last Posted Image ). Anyway if the last name is an important name (i.e. highly reputed scientist) I'd not leave it out but write all then.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

Hi there, mind to PM me your paper? I'm just curious to see publications with lots of names... Posted Image
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,314 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi there, mind to PM me your paper? I'm just curious to see publications with lots of names... Posted Image

Really??

haha, there are publications out there with more authors then pages or even worse: more authors then references.

Just for fun, look up these:

The genome of the kinetoplastid parasite
Sequence and analysis of chromosome 5 of the plant Arabidopsis thaliana.
Sequence and analysis of chromosome 4 of the plant Arabidopsis thaliana

Edited by pito, 15 November 2011 - 09:38 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,314 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

I am one of the authors in several authors listed on a recent publication. Including me, there are 15 other authors on the paper. I want to cite the paper in my resume but also show that my name is listed on the paper in the citation. I don't want to list all the author's name as there are too many. But do want my resume to show that my name is on the paper. How do I cite this correctly so that my name is included in the citation display and not lost in the world of "et.al".

What some do is the followin:

first two names of authors (or just the first alone) then three dots , then your name , then three dots and then the last name.

it would look like this:

James T., Olive G, ..., Your name, ..., Crocks Y.

THis way you have your name clearly mentioned and you keep the names of the most impportants authors: the first (and second) and last one.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.