• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Self-plagiarism?

thesis dissertation plagiarism

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tintuna

tintuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hi everyone,

Im doing a PhD which is similar to what I did for my dissertation during my undergrad studies, so the first half of the chapter of my thesis would be pretty much identical to the first half of my dissertation.
The question is, how much can I plagiarise my own dissertation? Its my material after all, is it even considered plagiarism?

What would you do in my situation? Posted Image

#2 knuf

knuf

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

I think that yes, it would be considered plagiarism--kind of like it's dishonest to use the same report for two different classes.

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,709 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

you can reference your old dissertation but i'm also sure that your current writing ability is more polished than it was before so you'll be doing more paraphrasing than plagiarizing.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,508 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

What do you mean with "the chapter" of your thesis? Anyway if it's one chapter of several it should be okay, because an undergrad study can be a good starting point of a phd thesis. But it shouldn't be too much (the extent of repetition is critical here) and it anyway makes not much sense to do the same work again??
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.