• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Chloroquine use in transfection!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Myco Rax

Myco Rax

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hello all,
I wanted to transfect the HEk cells with lentiviral vector.
Before addition of the transfection complex I forgot to treat the cells with chloroquine.
what is the purpose of chloroquine in transfection? Can anyone please tell me whether the transfection has taken place, as i forgot to add chloroquine?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Myco Rax, 13 October 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#2 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

It seems that chloroquine greatly improves transfection efficiency (some report 2 fold increase, others more). I couldn't find how it works, it appears to not be known, but I didn't look very thoroughly and the only paper I found about it was from 1996. This only took me five minutes to find out with google so I'm sure you'll be able to find out more if you have a good look.

So yes, you may have had successful transfection.

#3 dpo

dpo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

Chloroquine is an inhibitor of the lysosomal degradation of the DNA which is taken up by the cells, so as leelee said, transfection should have been successful, albeit at a slightly lower level than if you would have added the chloroquine. In my normal transfections, I never add chloroquine and get high efficiencies nevertheless. Only when I'm making virus, I add it (although I must admit I never tested virus production without chloroquine).

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.