• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Grafting

Grafting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hello!

I have a very simple question: Does somebody know if it is possible to graft a herbaceous species (such as Nicotiana) onto a woody species (such as Prunus)? It would not need to be an ever-lasting graft, it is just to transmit a virus from Nicotiana into Prunus, because the typical method of mechanical inoculation is not working and I would like to try other approaches.

If you have some other idea, I would really like to hear it!

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend!

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

No idea if it works, but I know that some plant viruses are transferred by "particle bombardment", i.e. mechanically by "shooting" the DNA e.g. with high air pressure into plant material. With a google search you'll find lot's of papers and protocols.
Good luck.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Hobglobin, but in this case, it is an RNA virus, and even though I have built a cDNA infective clone and I have shot the trees, it seems that it is very difficult for the virus to replicate in Prunus (and very easy to replicate in Nicotiana). That's why I was thinking of grafing.

I think I will try anyway. After all, it's a cheap method and I am quite curious!

Thanks again for the reply! Posted Image

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Even if the grafting works, its still possible the infection wont work.
It depends on the Plasmodesmata, if they block the enterence of the virus then you are still in trouble.µ

Are you sure that the specific virus you use is capable of infecting that tree ?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hello!

I have a very simple question: Does somebody know if it is possible to graft a herbaceous species (such as Nicotiana) onto a woody species (such as Prunus)? It would not need to be an ever-lasting graft, it is just to transmit a virus from Nicotiana into Prunus, because the typical method of mechanical inoculation is not working and I would like to try other approaches.

If you have some other idea, I would really like to hear it!

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend!

I almost forgot:
http://www.tandfonli...060669609500600

Check it out.

Grafting between different families/species is hard, but it can be done.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thank you very much Pito!
I will take a look, for sure! Posted Image

#7 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hey Pito, I have searched for this paper, but it has no free access. I can't find the e-mail of the authors to ask them for a free copy or some information. Are you able to download it? In case you can, would it be a big incovenience for you to send it to me?
Thanks again!

#8 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hey Pito, I have searched for this paper, but it has no free access. I can't find the e-mail of the authors to ask them for a free copy or some information. Are you able to download it? In case you can, would it be a big incovenience for you to send it to me?
Thanks again!

Here it is:
http://hotfile.com/d.../paper.pdf.html

#9 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks a lot!!!! I hope it works!Posted Image

#10 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

I hadn't heard of grafting between different species, but if it's published I suppose it's possible. there are many different kinds of grafting. probably one that could work is a bud grafting, but then meristematic tissue is normally virus-free. I guess you'll have to try different grafting methods. good luck!
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#11 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I hadn't heard of grafting between different species, but if it's published I suppose it's possible. there are many different kinds of grafting. probably one that could work is a bud grafting, but then meristematic tissue is normally virus-free. I guess you'll have to try different grafting methods. good luck!

Its possible, but hard and the grafts dont survive that long.
Its more something done for research rather then more commercial things.

#12 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

you're absolutely right pito, i hadn't thought about it before, but i knew i had seen it somewhere: in cacti

Posted Image

#13 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

you're absolutely right pito, i hadn't thought about it before, but i knew i had seen it somewhere: in cacti

Posted Image

haha, indeed, I didnt even think about this.

But with cacti its indeed done very often they graft between species.

#14 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

perhaps within a plant family (Cactaceae) it's easier than between different families? Or anyway all cacti are the same species, but they didn't realised it so far? Posted Image

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#15 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

for sure they are, same as all spiders.. :lol: :P

species are just an anthropocentric creation after all. however, grafting does not have the same opinion..

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.