• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Blue Bacterial Culture without X-gal

LB Blue bacteria culture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allynspear

allynspear

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Good

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

I have seen this happen once a long time ago, but I can't remember what we determined to be the cause. We set up about 24 miniprep cultures in LB broth innoculated from single colonies on LB+Amp agar plate. After 18 h of growth, 2 cultures out of the 24 were greenish blue (yellow of the LB plus Blue color from ?). When we pelleted the cells, the pellets seemed larger than the others, and upon lysis and precipitation the pellets were gooey-er than the others. This media (Plates or Broth) did not contain X-gal, and all cultures were started using the same bottle of media, so it must be something the cells are doing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa?

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

Chromobacterium violaceum? got picture?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 allynspear

allynspear

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Good

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

No picture, since we processed the samples for DNA extraction. As it turns out, neither of the samples contained plasmid DNA, so they were obviously ampicillin resistant contaminants, but I don't know why they would generate white colonies on an LB+Amp agar plate and generate blue-green culture in LB Broth.

Regardless, I am pretty sure that it was Pseudomonas aeruginosa, since we did notice that the cultures had sort of a musty grape smell to them. Thanks to bob1 for the suggestion!

Edited by allynspear, 22 September 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.