• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Multiplex PCR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

I did an multiplex PCR experminent with two primersets.
I first tested both primerpairs individual, and they are very specific, but when i add them together, they also amplify other products besides the two products i designed them for.
I have to admit that the FP of the first primerpair overlaps one nucleotide of the RP of the second primerpair. Should this be an issue? So not, what could me the problem and how to solve this?

greetz

Susan

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

Primer dimers can be a problem, especially if they are stable. You can use software as the usual primer design programs to find out if the primers don't fit good (primer 3, perlprimer, netprimer) or this software, that is not bad.
To avoid this you may design new primers that do not form dimers and/or other structures you don't want, you can try to add additives that sometimes help (BSA, betaine, etc), and a hot-start often helps, too.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Usually, using a higher temperature will solve the problem. Try add DMSO 5%. Possible to show your gel here?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Along with Adrian's high temperature, if possible, slightly reduce the concentration of the primers you are using for the multiplex.

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#5 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:59 AM

HI,

I didnt run them on gel, i saw the aspecific product on qPCR.

I'll try to sent the figure.

greetz

#6 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

i just can not find out how to past/import my figure

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

try to "print screen", paste and edit in "paint", save and upload to "imageshack", finally put the link here?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

#8 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

here he is:

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

the red curve (highest one) is the aspecific product

Edited by susanna, 08 September 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#9 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm sorry, I dont think you had put the correct link...

#10 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

you can also post it as attachment (hidden in more reply options) here

Edited by hobglobin, 09 September 2011 - 10:44 AM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#11 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi,

here's a presentation of the problem with the aspecific product,

greetz

Attached Files

#12 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

I'm not expert in Real-time PCR, however, I do find that your CT value is quite high, >30
I can see there are some possible primer dimmers in your melting curve in your last slide: is this what you mean by "amplify other products"?

#13 susanna

susanna

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

yes, but the strange thing is that if you use the primerpair seperated you dont see this product. Probably primer heterodimer between the 2 primerpair, like you say

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.