Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

Evenly distribute 100ul of cells in a 48/96 well

distribute well plate cells 100ul

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iresearch.ip



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

Hey guys! My group would be needing to evenly distribute 100ul of cells in either a 48 or 96 well plate. None of us are entirely sure how because...well, we're high school students. Also, how exactly do we measure 100ul? What particular instrument do we need?

Thanks a lot!

*It's our junior year which means research is a big deal. Expect a lot of basic questions from me.

#2 bob1


    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Is that 100 ul of cells per well or over the whole plate?

There is some very simple maths involved, which I am sure you can work out, as to what volume you would need to add to each well, if it is the 100 ul over the whole plate.

Note that you may find it easier to dilute the cells and then aliquot them into the wells in a bigger volume.

Remember to mix your cells well before aliquotting to get an even distribution in the medium, and probably during the process too, as cells can settle quite fast. If you are working with bacteria, they won't settle so fast.

You will need a pipette of some sort to measure 100 ul - this could be a 1 ml or 0.5 ml standard glass/plastic pipette or you could use what is known as a micropipette (something similar to this -ask your teacher/lab technician), and some tips to fit on the end. These come in a range of volumes (usually 0.5-2 ul, 0.5-10 ul, 2-20 ul, 20-200 ul, 200-1000 ul), be careful to understand the range for each pipette, as they are not accurate outside of the recommended range.

#3 96well



  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Probably, the instrument you are looking for is called multichannel pipette. I would use a P200.
Nature magazine. Do you qualify for a free subscription?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.