• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Triton X-100 Stock Solution

viscosity stock solution

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pathlily

pathlily

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hello!

The viscosity of Triton X-100 is pretty annoying to deal with on a day-today basis so I was thinking of making myself a 10% or 20% stock solution. Since the density of triton is known, and since (I find it) so difficult to pipette it accurately, would it be more sensible to do this by weight?

Do you have any tips on making a Triton X-100 stock? (Warming it maybe? To what temperature?)

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

I just weigh out the required amount onto a piece of sterile tinfoil/aluminium foil and drop this into the solution, then remove when the triton has dissolved.

#3 steveneam

steveneam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Try cutting the pipette tip off with scissors (around a third of the way) to allow for a larger opening. That should also allow you to draw up th soln much easier.

#4 pathlily

pathlily

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

I just weigh out the required amount onto a piece of sterile tinfoil/aluminium foil and drop this into the solution, then remove when the triton has dissolved.

so.. (to be pedantic about this): tinfoil from the roll is assumed to be sterile, right?

Once you've dispensed the required weight of liquid onto the tinfoil and dropped it into the solution, do you just wait for it to dissolve at RT on the bench or do you warm and swirl it or stir it with a flea?
Then, if I get you correctly, you remove the foil and make up to the required volume?

#5 pathlily

pathlily

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Try cutting the pipette tip off with scissors (around a third of the way) to allow for a larger opening. That should also allow you to draw up th soln much easier.

that's a good idea, thanks, I'll give it a try.

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

so.. (to be pedantic about this): tinfoil from the roll is assumed to be sterile, right?

Once you've dispensed the required weight of liquid onto the tinfoil and dropped it into the solution, do you just wait for it to dissolve at RT on the bench or do you warm and swirl it or stir it with a flea?
Then, if I get you correctly, you remove the foil and make up to the required volume?

I would autoclave bits of tinfoil in a small bag or container if you need it to be sterile. I swirl to dissolve, remove foil with sterile forceps and make up to the required volume.

#7 pathlily

pathlily

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.