• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Online Journal Club

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi Guys

I am interested in starting an online journal article discussion group here.
My idea is every week one group member will choose a peer reviewed journal article and share the article with all other group members at the beginning of the week.All group members will read the article over the whole week then will post their comments and important notes on the article and carry on a discussion on a particular predetermined day at the end of the week.

I am personally a cardiovascular research student...But all cell and molecular Biology researchers are most welcome to join this group.Interested people please respond to this post ASAP....and let us sign up here.....:)

Thanks
G1R2

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

Interested... sign me up.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

Interested... sign me up.

Ok thats great...atleast we have two in the group now....lets wait today the whole day and see how many responses we receive...then tomorrow either you or me or any other group member...(if we have any more)can decide on a paper and the day when we will discuss on it...Thanks for responding ....Please let me know if you have any suggestions....

:)...welcome to the Online Journal Club
:)

#4 Research-Lover

Research-Lover

Just Another PhD Candidate

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Me 3!!!
Tout enfant, j'ai senti dans mon cur deux sentiments contradictoires : l'horreur de la vie et l'extase de la vie. Baudelaire - Mon coeur mis nu.

#5 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Me 3!!!

Welcome to the Journal Club...:)...Thanks a lot for the response..please let me know if you have any suggestions....:)

G1R2

#6 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys

I think we can start now ...three of us .....any one of you can suggest a paper..by tomorrow ...if not .....then i can go ahead and share a paper for this week...and we can discuss the paper next Tuesday.....what say??Please let me know....if you have something in mind..

Your suggestions are most welcome......:)

Thanks
G1R2

#7 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Dear Friends

It will be great if you guys let me know what type of papers you will be interested in....:)

Thanks
G1R2

#8 Research-Lover

Research-Lover

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:41 AM

Any paper is fine by me

Tout enfant, j'ai senti dans mon cur deux sentiments contradictoires : l'horreur de la vie et l'extase de la vie. Baudelaire - Mon coeur mis nu.

#9 Research-Lover

Research-Lover

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

How about this one ? The findings are interesting but many experiments are repetitive
Anyway it's just a suggestion

Endocrine Regulation of Male Fertility by the Skeleton
Franck Oury, Grzegorz Sumara, Olga Sumara, Mathieu Ferron, Haixin Chang, Charles E. Smith, Louis Hermo, Susan Suarez, Bryan L. Roth, Patricia Ducy, Gerard Karsenty
Cell, Volume 144, Issue 5, 796-809, 17 February 2011

#10 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Actually I was kind of more interested in cardiovascular that reproductive research...are you working on reproductive physiology?...but still i think it will be a very good paper to go through...we will post our comments on this paper next Wednesday ....:)....But if the another member of the group also responds to this paper it will be great...:)...Thanks to "Research Lover" for searching a paper for the Journal Club...:)

Thanks
G1R2

#11 Research-Lover

Research-Lover

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

No actually i'm not, i work on natural products and cancer but i love to read articles from time to time that are not in my field of study
At the summer journal club(that i started this year at my uni) we're gonna discuss an article of a cardiovascular nature, will send you the title it to you as soon as we get it if you like
PS: We re not gonna have the journal club on a WE are we?

#12 G1R2

G1R2

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

@Research Lover

I really like your suggestion. ...to read different type of papers is a really good idea. The paper you selected is really interesting. I really appreciate your search for this paper.Hope Adrian K will also agree with us. Lets read this paper on fertility this week and post our questions and comments on it next Wednesday.....

PS....I am a new graduate student so i may have stupid questions and confusions....Hope you wont mind..:)

Thanks
G1R2

#13 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'll play too. I miss journal club.

I'm a microbiologist, so I'm interested in microbe-host interactions. I also like neuroscience.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#14 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Indeed, this is a very interesting article, although I have to admit that I really have to struggle a bit to understand the nature of the work.

I'm a microbiologist as well, postgraduate.

In fact, I think is good if we can have some well experienced researcher and professors to guide us on this journal club, esp those who had published a lot of papers. (you know who you are... ^_^)
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#15 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

Hi all....

This is an application for becoming a member of this Journal Club. :P

Would like to bring a technical issue though. Papers suggested here might not be accessible to all (read me). I don't think that Bioforum will encourage open sharing of articles on a forum. So a request to PM the paper to me. We can then circulate it around for those who ask for it :)

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.