• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Weird qPCR curves

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cells

cells

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi, can anybody look at my qPCR curves attached. I'm wondering why it keeps going up instead of reaching a plateau..the melt curve looks fine and I haven't run the product on a gel but is it simply the case that I haven't run enough cycles yet for the plateau to be reached?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• pcr curves.jpg

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi,
I am not expert in this field but...
did you add too many primers? what are the primers molarity you put in and what is the concentration?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

You don't need to run to plateau. The important part of the curve is the exponential phase. Sometimes the curves don't reach plateau, the reason probably is that the reaction is slowed down by insufficiency of some precursor which isn't completely depleted so the reaction doesn't stop, just continue on very slowly.
But that's really not important.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#4 cells

cells

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the responses...yea, I'm not going to worry about it too much:)

#5 mhong

mhong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

These look normal to me. Perhaps you're more used to looking at the the y-axis in log scale.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.