• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

concentration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spbiotech

spbiotech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hello to all

How can we determine concentration of calf thymus DNA in term of micromolar? I got absorbance .052 at 260nm. which give concentration 2600 microgram per ml ( acc. to formula = 50*ABS* dilution factor). I have dissolved a single thread in 1.5ml phosphate buffer? could anyone suggest me waiting

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

How did you get a single DNA chain?

Unless you know the length of the DNA (and hence the molecular weight) you cannot determine the concentration in terms of molarity.

#3 spbiotech

spbiotech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

actually i have got calf thymus DNA in the form of thread from sigma. i have dissolved thread not in length form.suggestion required

How did you get a single DNA chain?

Unless you know the length of the DNA (and hence the molecular weight) you cannot determine the concentration in terms of molarity.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

I think you probably mean "single stranded DNA" which just means that the DNA has been dissociated or separated into single strands.

Unless you know the molecular weight (mass) of the DNA you cannot determine the molarity of the solution. What do you need the molarity for?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.