• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Glycerol stock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Agape

Agape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

I have worked on plasmid DNA isolation and cell retransformation and i was ask to prepare glycerol stock for recombinant strain and how to ensure it is functional of gene expression(refering to glycerol stock).

For preparation of glycerol stock: I chose -70oC with 15% glycerol.

However, i am not sure how to ensure that it is functional.

Any help will be appreciated :D

Edited by Agape, 24 July 2011 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

I have worked on plasmid DNA isolation and cell retransformation and i was ask to prepare glycerol stock for recombinant strain and how to ensure it is functional of gene expression(refering to glycerol stock).

If your cell is E.coli, is ok.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Agape

Agape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

If your cell is E.coli, is ok.

Thanks bro:) However, my prof wants me prove that it is functional. What can i do? btw, the recombinant cell should produce GFP by induction of IPTG. Any advices? (like should i prove the plasmid stability or whatsoever?)

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

For functionality, the easiest way is to prepare plasmid from bacteria taken from your glycerol stock, and then express the protein encoded, detect by western blot.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.